Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Publishing

So who would have thought that I would get such a kick out of publishing my own blog? It's not as if I'm not used to talking or anything, I do it pretty regularly. But hey, I like this "send my thoughts out into the universe" gig. It appeals to me in some sort of poetic way.

So just now, my little internet radio, either by fate or fluke decided to play me the same song a few times in a row. But I didn't really mind it. It was a good tune. "The Shadow Proves the Sunshine" by Switchfoot, if you're interested. It was one of those opportune, symbolic teaching moments. Of course the song is basically talking about "opposition in all things" you can't taste the sweet without having the bitter, and that line of thinking really appeals to me right now. I wonder why it didn't occur to me before, not like it's in any curriculum I study daily...like the scriptures. 'Cause I kind of feel like I'm tasting a little bitter in my life right now. Don't worry, only a very little bit. I love my life. Generally, I have no qualms with it. I never get enough sleep (and now I'm going to get even less because I'm sure I'll be up blogging), but I don't know anyone who does. Life is good. Mostly. The mostly good bit comes in when I have an undue amount of stress in my life, which I don't usually, but I do right now (funny b/c it's thanksgiving break).

Today I had a really good day actually. Just went to work for 8 hours, nothing huge. When I got home I had some errands to run, and then me and my pal Taylor went over to watch a movie with some friends I grew up with. It was cool, but it was kind of weird at the same time. I feel like none of the kids I grew up with from church really know me. Because we pretty much just hung out and watched movies (which is what we did just now), but for some reason, I never felt like I fit in. Which is dumb, because it's not as if I wasn't a member of the group. Maybe I just have some strange high school insecurities ambushing me from behind or something, but I feel like I never had a best friend at church. I don't know why.

I got to talk to Mike Stewart lately, which was super rad if you ask me. For those of you who don't know, Mike was my first sweetheart, we fell in like before I turned 16 and dated for a little while after that, and we've always remained friends, which is something I'm really glad for. He set a pretty high standard so far as boyfriend behavior, which is why I've only had one steady one since; but I haven't given up hope yet. :)

I don't know what I'll do with myself over break. I can't remember the last time I had this much free time. But tonight, I'm going to read Ella Enchanted, possibly aloud to myself. I have another book I'd like to re-read as well. And maybe I'll do some mending.

Our Stake President (clergy, for those non-familiar with Mormon terms) challenged us to read the Book of Mormon by the end of the year. I am approximately on page 18. There are 535 pages in the book. Wish me luck. Not like I don't love to read the scriptures, I do. But I think I like to study them more than I read them, and I'm pretty sure a month is NOT enough time to study the whole Book of Mormon. People do that for their lives.

No comments: