Tuesday, November 24, 2009

I love you, California

A few weeks ago I went on a road trip to California. My friends Bryce and Brittany were running a triathalon, and I just came along for the ride.
Here are excerpts from the notes the trip inspired:
***
I think I definitely need meditation time in my life. The ability to just sit and think about my life after I wake up is wonderful.

I love the group mentality of people at athletic races, it is just awesome. Everyone is trying to be their best... I think I'm going to pretend the rest of my life is a marathon. Because it is. 

(this was inspired by listening to a musical in the car and hearing them say "your life will never be the same)
Is there something wrong with wanting your life to be the same? I've had some of the hardest times in my life come from my life changing when I didn't want it to. What's wrong with same-ness?
***
I loved this trip.  We got to visit Ventura beach (I didn't get pictures because it was dark out) but it was so cool because I felt like I knew California from how much west coast punk music I listened to growing up. It was like a pilgrimage to Mecca, finally being where Andrew McMahon was talking about all those years ago.

This is the lake where the triathalon was held.






Beautiful California:





p.s. San Dimas high school football rules! (see also: Loni Philbrick-Lindzmeyer's punk rock mix, opening song, The Ataris)

1 comment:

Mandy said...

I so agree-I need meditation too in my life and gotta love Cali!! Serene pics. Love you!