Sunday, October 11, 2009

Snow Patrol



Snow Patrol = Amazing

As the concert opened I was so excited. It was like seeing friends I hadn't seen in forever. And I was so excited. The lights came up and I raised my hand up to the music, to move the air in time with the rhythm, and I thought, "This is all I can give you. I can't tell you how much your music means to me. I can't explain how it's helped me through my life. All I can do is show you that right now, my soul is showing through the movement of my body, and it is just saying that I love you for understanding my feelings like this, and so I will move my hand up and down as you sing, to show I know what you mean, that my heart is responding to your words, as it always has. All I can give you is this gesture of an open palm stretching toward where you are to show that right now, I am there with you as you are singing, just as you have been there with me all along as I have listened to your music when I needed support the most."

During one of the songs where the lyrics say"open your eyes" and the scene going in the background was someone driving around a neighborhood; there is this break where there is just a cacophony of sound. The drums are going, the guitars are going, you feel the chords circling around you and thrumming, and as we were watching this, I saw the lead singer rocking on his guitar and with his foot pounding the ground, in time with the music, and an expression of the most heart-rending grief on his face sing on rhythm "I want you back" over and over and over again as the music rose in intensity. You could only hear a faint echo of it on the mike because he was standing farther back and the microphone didn't pick it up properly. His face was so compelling though, as if he was sobbing as he was singing and the words were stabbing out, in desperation. I am forever moved by the memory of it; there are very few times that I've witnessed that kind of grief in the open. Especially heartache.

No comments: