Thursday, October 1, 2009

Unappreciated Sarcasm

There are some times that my brand of sarcasm just does not fly on BYU campus.

Yesterday, in literature class, we were discussing Margaret Fuller, and comparing her views to the views espoused by Julie B. Beck General Relief Society president. Sister Beck gave a talk about how women need to embrace their roles as caregivers and mothers in order to feel fulfilled and reach their true potential. As another student was giving her opinion on how the two women really did concur in their views, my professor said, "Yes, it's not like she [Sister Beck] was telling you to stop reading by encouraging women to do these things." and I interjected (deadpan), "That's what I thought she [Sister Beck] was saying. I walked out." Absolute silence. After a heartbeat I said "Okay, I was kidding. That was sarcasm. Please, move on." and gestured to the girl who was originally sharing her views. Then some people gave this sort of half-hearted titter, as if they were still recovering from the shock of my apparent near-apostasy-like views. I was so embarrassed to have interrupted the main speaker anyway, but then my friend Allison behind me whispered "Betsy, you are amazing," and I felt a little better.

A few weeks ago the prophet (Thomas S. Monson, for those of you who don't know) spoke at devotional, and since EVERYONE attended at the Marriott Center, the hallways outside the arena and avenues back to campus were jam-packed. As I shuffled slowly forward, I turned to the boy next to me and said, "Want to be friends? Because it looks like we're going to be walking at approximately the same pace for the next 20 minutes." He agreed, and we started talking. After I found out his name (Trevor) he asked me, "So, how did you like the devotional?"

Can I just say, that I think that question is ridiculous? Hello? The Prophet just spoke. It was great. Amazing. Revelation for our day. And knowing President Monson, it was hilarious too. So why are you asking me how I liked it? Is that supposed to be rhetorical? I have this same soapbox when it comes to people asking me how the Temple was. What am I going to say? "Nah, I don't like following counsel from the Lord and communing with Him in sacred ways, as well as providing salvation for my fellow men. Boring." Um, no. Or my FAVORITE is when people ask others "How was your mission?" as if you could sum up a two year-long life-changing experience in such a paltry way! What can you really say? "Nah, it was okay. You know, the ush. Bringing people the bread of life and consecrating my life to God for two years straight." My friend Will is the only one who has ever been able to answer it appropriately by saying "Solid." Which is pretty much the best description of a mission I've ever heard in one word. But that's Will for you.

So my friend Trevor asks me how I liked the devotional and I say, "Ah, I don't know, I thought they could have done better. I mean, I felt like no one really knew who this guy was. I wish they'd get us some high-profile speakers every once in a while, instead of these guys no one has heard of. I felt like I was the only one in there. We could really pack that place, you know?" I glanced at Trevor out of the corner of my eye, and he was looking more startled than anything. "Surprised and confused" might be another way to say it, only he was definitely more confused than surprised. He struggled for words for a few seconds, still looking at me as if I were an alien life form and then said slowly, "You...are a wicked girl," and I laughed at him (%70 nervous/%30 at my own cleverness) and said, "Oh, you know. I try." Then we moved on to safter topics such as "where are you from," and "what's your major." I don't think I've EVER been called wicked before. I hate it when people don't get my jokes. Boo.

1 comment:

frizzles16 said...

I think this post makes my top five favorite blog posts ever. I mean it is up there with taelynn's berries and cream. Because I know just how true this whooooole thing is. And I love it. I laughed all the way through it because I know exactly just how stiff BYU-ers can be. So funny.