Friday, March 19, 2010

"I am a gallery of broken hearts"

Two days ago I walked into the HFAC looking for a little bit of comfort to soothe my worried soul. I find that wandering among exhibits and galleries helps me reflect, and gives me something to think about besides my own baggage. I sort stuff out internally as I respond to the works.
However, as I walked in, I realized everyone was bustling around, preparing for a new exhibit. All of my familiar paintings and photographs had been taken down, and everything was bland, waiting for something new to say; the walls were ready to begin construction on a new exhibit, to illuminate new perspectives instead of those of the paintings they had been carrying for so long. 

I was dismayed at first, and then decided to do the same.


The perfect metaphor, sans art. Oh, the irony.

2 comments:

frizzles16 said...

betsy, that's deep? I hope you are doing alright, I love you and I'm here for ya if you need me. :D

Marae said...

aw, i love that song, and you, and that time we were looking at the drawings upstairs and i loved that one of the boy and his hipbone. oh, how i miss you.