Thursday, December 2, 2010

more fluent: the gradient as opposed to the lack of achievement

"I promise I'll be more fluent tomorrow,"

one student said, his presentation in Spanish interrupted by the bell. 

Fluency. Isn't fluent something you either are or you're not? It is something you have reached, or you haven't. Instead of a spectrum. 

The way this student used it though, it was like he thought that it was a spectrum. But you can't be partially fluent, right? The whole connotation of fluent is that you've got it, you are completely competent in that arena. I think we misuse it when we say that someone is more fluent than we are, or we assign levels of fluency. But the very fact that the word 'fluency' (the degree to which one is fluent) exists DOES imply that there is a spectrum. 

Sometimes I don't realize that I could be on a spectrum, instead of just failing. 
 

No comments: