Saturday, December 26, 2009

life

Whenever I come home, I find myself planning the rest of my life in my head. Where I want to live (California) and how (off the grid, with my showering needs being met by my YMCA membership). Life back in Provo gets so much clearer when I think about what I really need and what I really want, when I'm sitting in my parents living room.

Lately I've been really concerned with being environmentally friendly. I know that green has been this year's black, but I mean in a serious way. Sometimes I wish I lived by myself, so I wouldn't have to make compromises on what kind of soap we buy, or how many ziploc bags we use. I think there are a lot of things I would change about my lifestyle, if I felt like I could, but the main issue is time. Of course it would be great to make myself some re-usable snack bags to use instead of always meeting my needs with the ever-convenient disposable kind, but that would definitely take a couple of Saturdays. I think that's how I used to think about cooking though. I used to think about cooking in terms of time and convenience (hello, pasta!), but this semester, when I started to cook my own meals, I found that I really enjoyed it. And even though I'm switching back to a (much) busier schedule this next semester, I have planned a few hours to cook each week to prepare my meals. Hopefully the lifestyle change will continue.

I am really excited for this next semester. Even though it was nice having a lot of free time, I feel like it is more important for me to be actively spending my time doing meaningful things, instead of catering to my own needs. And, truthfully, I think being engaged in a cause higher than my own interests is healthy for me. I feel like my life was meant to be dedicated to something, and the more structure I have to meet that goal, the better.

I also am thinking about where I want to get a job this summer. I'm pretty sure I don't want to hang out in Provo. I'm seriously thinking about working at a Disney resort, or just writing my favorite companies, and seeing if any of them need a happy, hardworking, capable almost-college grad for the summer. I figure there's always more coffee to be gofered, right?

No comments: