Saturday, May 8, 2010

Reinforcements

I believe in constant affirmation. Affirmation of my identity, my purpose, and my righteous goals. Which is why I find when I am in a new situation the first thing I will do is decorate. I put things up that remind me of the aforementioned ideals. For example, I have a friend who is one of the people I call when I am in need of someone to listen to me about whatever issues I am having, and help me work them out. You know, the late night chat buddies. He always has time for me, and he knows how to communicate with me that he appreciates me on all of the levels that are important to me. (Religion, intelligence, and meaningfulness). So it was his picture I printed off and put on my desk within a few days of working at my new job. Not a big picture, not even he and I, just a little 1x2" square to tape to the bottom of my monitor, reminding me of at least one healthy, stable relationship that exists (even if I am not always talking to this boy, I feel like our friendship is dependable).
Likewise I have a post it note with a few compliments that mean a great deal to me that I have collected over the years.
And the last thing that decorates my desk is my name tag from working at the MTC. Now those of you who know me even mildly well may recognize that although I enjoyed my job at the MTC, it was somewhat less than ideal. However, I feel as though being employed by the MTC has changed me a little bit. It is a place, where without a doubt, 95% of the people around you are actively trying to become more like the Savior. All the time. What is the number one rule of the custodial department at the MTC? Don't disturb the missionaries. And with everyone being able to very openly recognize the culture that is the gospel of Jesus Christ (not even the culture of the LDS church, the culture of Christlike living) was a unifying factor. And it is something I want to tap into all of my life...hence the name tag on my current desk.
What other reinforcements do I have? I have a necklace with a dog tag on it that I wear occasionally (if it can be unobtrusive) with my favorite scripture and the name of someone very dear to me. And I have another accessory that reminds me of a spiritual experience I had at a concert once.
It's not that I feel like these reminders in and of themselves should become the POINT of my life. Like I should focus on my friendship with the young man in the picture on my desk because it is IDEAL and how I want to feel all the time. NO. However, it does serve as a valuable reminder of who I want to be. If I focused on just that aspect of my life, all the time, I would become unbalanced. Just like if I only focused on the compliments I have received that really flattered me, I would also become unbalanced. Compliments are not the point of life. And even fulfilling relationships are not the point of life, although they are a key component in a happy one. But if I begin to worship or try to depend on that friendship, or those compliments, or my experience at a concert, in order to provide me with my identity, eventually they will break down.
You cannot focus on what the experience is, you however can look back at the experience and realize how it brought you closer to God. And being close to God is the point of our experience here. And so that is why I have those reinforcements up. To remind me that they are part of the right track, but they are not the end of the track; they're more like...guidelines.

No comments: