Thursday, January 22, 2009

new member discussions are the best!!!

Today I saw Matt Meese on campus!!! Not that I actually know him or anything, but it was still cool, just seeing him around. I wonder how many times he gets the obligatory "Is that Matt Meese?!" double-take.

Do you ever see people on campus, and know that you've noticed them around before, for some salient feature of their being/appearance, and say to yourself "Oh yeah that's [insert nickname here]! (for example: really poofy hair boy) and keep noticing them every day on campus, and hence, feel like you know them when in all actuality, you don't? And then let's say you end up standing next to said person in the library at the public computers, and you have this really strong urge to talk to them, and tell them your nickname for them because heck, you've been friends for awhile in YOUR mind, andwhat's one more hello, but you know that saying anything would mean certain social death? So you don't say anything but you have this sense of guilt because it feels like you're ignoring them when really you're acutely tuned in to any excuse to become friends with them just so you can finally stop lying to them about the actual intimacy of your relationship? But despite this you still don't say anything, and end up feeling like you've not done your duty of fellowshipping someone, and end up venting by blogging about it later?

yeah. That never happens to me either.

We taught a recent convert in my ward a new member discussion today; it was the best. I love being a ward missionary. It is a great calling. I know all of you can't exactly go try it b/c callings come by inspiration and all that, but if you have any way within your power to get together with the Ward missionaries sometime, you should. Their jobs are the best. I really love teaching about principles I know to be true, and stregthening my own testimony by bearing testimony, it helps you feel the Spirit so much more.

I am going with Drake to St. George in 3 weeks!

p.s. I adore hearing people whistle happy tunes on campus. You can see everyone around them happier because of it, I promise. Such a whistler brightened my day today (before the Matt Meese experience, but after the hypothetical naming-people-you-don't-know-but-see-on-campus episode. It was a busy day.) So, thank you. And keep it up you whistlers. Keep it up.

1 comment:

Marae said...

dear betsy,
could i love you any more?
i love to read your blog because i can hear in my mind exactly where your laugh would be bubbling up when you say something.
on a different note, i am plowing through grapefruit sours but NONE of them have been sour yet! (hence the plowing)
i love you a lot.