Sunday, January 4, 2009

My love of books and the Savior.

I don't know why the wee hours of the morning are always better to blog, but it is so true.

Today we made it back to Provo with relatively little mishap. Can I just say how excited I am to be back here with all my friends? Not that my Green Bay friends aren't awesome, THEY ARE, but it is sure nice to come and go when I want and to not have to give the same ol' update to everyone. Once after a friend asked me how school was going, I just shrugged and said "more of the same." What can you really say, year after year? School is pretty much the same. My life is still awesome. How do you elaborate on that generally?

The books I bought for myself for Christmas (with a gift certificate from work) arrived just after I had left, so it was really fun to come home to them. I had forgotten 2 out of the 3, I have so many favorites, it's kind of hard to keep track of them all. I really found I love novels in verse. I'm trying to start a small collection. So far i have "Make Lemonade" Virginia Euwer Wolff by "Song of the Sparrow" by Lisa Ann Sandell, and "On Pointe" by Lori Ann Grover. On the list "to get" yet are "Heartbeat" by Shannon Creech, and "Where I live" by Eileen Spinelli (wife of Jerry Spinelli (author of "Maniac Magee" and "Stargirl"). A novel in verse is exactly that--an entire work of fiction written in verse. Now that doesn't mean it has to be rhyming, it can be free verse, as opposed to blank verse (unrhymed iambic pentameter), but it's always poetry.

Best Picture Ever



This picture was taken at the Salt Lake City Visitor's center on Temple Square. Thomas, Steve, Jayrin, Michael and I went up to see the lights the weekend before everyone left. I love this picture because I feel it's symbolic. I've got the Savior watching over me, and my friends all around me. How could life go wrong? Or, if I feel like it is going wrong, how could I feel alone?
That's why it's my favorite. Most definitely. We don't remember often enough how many friends we have supporting us. Or that the Savior is there with us. What a different place the world would be if we all remembered that.

1 comment:

Lorie Ann Grover said...

Thanks so much for getting On Pointe! Your collection of verse novels sounds wonderful. :~)